Your Passport to Overseas Driving
The International Driving Permit (IDP) is recognized worldwide as a valuable document identifying motorists as legally-licensed drivers, in the country they are travelling.
The International driving Permit (IDP) is recognized in many countries, and IDP could facilitate convenience when renting a car.
The IDP contains translations of driving terms used in various languages and can help drivers communicate with car rental companies and other authorities. The IDP is also a useful form of identification as it contains a photograph of the driver.
Who Can Apply
Indian driving license holders intending to drive in a foreign country can apply for an IDP. An IDP is valid only for one year from the date of issue.
Don’t apply if:
Applicant does not hold a valid Indian Passport and driving license from the local issuing authority of the applicant’s location. (Currently, WIAA offers this service at Mumbai & Pune ).
P.S.: WIAA is the only authorized organization to issue IDPs in India apart from the local RTOs..
It has been found that some third parties are selling IDPs that are not genuine.
We wish to notify members of the public that WIAA is the sole issuing authority, apart from the RTOs, recognized by the FIA and the State Government for the 1949 Convention International Driving Permit.
It is a criminal offence to issue, handle or be in possession of an illegitimate IDP. Internet surfers are advised against applying for IDPs that are being sold illegally on the web. The sellers of these forged documents are not only breaking the law but are also endangering the identity of the applicant.
How to apply
WIAA offices located at Mumbai, Pune or Ahmedabad are currently issuing IDP to WIAA members only.
Step 1: Become member of WIAA. (Apply online for membership or visit WIAA office)
Step 2: Download IDP form, fill it and walk in to WIAA's Mumbai & Pune office
- Get your WIAA Membership card
- Download the form & check the list of countries that recognize the 1949 CONVENTION INTERNATIONAL DRIVING PERMIT. Apply if you are traveling to one of these countries only.
- Indian driving license, issued at Mumbai / Pune for the respective location of application.
- Valid Indian Passport with Mumbai / Pune for the respective location of application
- Carry 4 recent passport-size photographs (photo size: 3.5cm x 3.5cm)
- Submit above documents and Fee of Rs.1500/= at WIAA Cash counter (Cash or Cheque, in Favor of “Western India Automobile Association”
- Payable at the application location. i.e. Mumbai/Pune).
- Post verification of your documents, you can collect your IDP as per the deadline provided while submitting the documents. (Generally, the IDP will be processed and issued within a day or two of the document submission.)
- Processing time is 2 working days from the date of application submitted to WIAA. Hence please submit your documents well in advance to before you plan to depart.
- WIAA reserves the right to reject applications in the event that applicants fail to produce or submit the necessary documents.
- Address on Passport and Driving License must be same as per the location of the application.
- IDP is valid for one year only, if you are already abroad at the time when your IDP is about to expire, then the IDP cannot be renewed until you travel back to your location of application. WIAA advises you to plan your IDP application accordingly.
- WIAA wishes you a happy journey and healthy stay during your travel.
- If you are travelling to North America, then you might need the AAA membership card for fabulous discounts while you are in North America. Contact us for more details. Click here to visit AAA website.
Download Membership Form Here
Make sure you are Road Safe.
List of countries accepting IDP
List Of Countries Recognising International Driving Permit
||Curacao (Netherlands Antilles)
||Jamaica (For PrivateVehicles)(2)
||Dominician Republic (for 6 Months)
||Djibouti (See France Territory of the AfarsaandIssas)
||France & French Monaco
|Botswana (Former Bechuanaland)
|Cape Verde Islands
||Guinea – Bissau
|Central African Republic
|Nicaragua* (for 30 days)
||Trinidad and Tobago (1,2) – For Pvt.Vehicls
||United Arab Emirates (U.A.E) (1) (For Private Vehicles)
|Papua and New Guinea
||United States of America
||Upper Vota **
|Phillipines (for 90 days) (1)
|Portugal (Incl.Madeira and the Azores) (1)
||Yemen (Arab Republic)
|Sao Tome and Principe
|Senegal (for Private Vehicles) (2)
||Zaire (Former Congo) (Kinshasa)
|South West Africa (Namibia)
|Sri Lanka (Ceylon)
|Surinam (Former Dutch Guiana)
* is not party to the 1949 Convention on Road Traffic, but recognizes 1949 International Driving Permits.
** the provisions of the 1949 Convention were extended to this territory prior to Independence, but the now state has yet to confirm officially that it accepts these provision. However it does recognises 1949 International Driving Permits.
*** is not party to the 1949 Convention on Road Traffic, but recognizes 1949 International Driving Permits. Certain formalities must be accomplished on arrival.
Certain Conditions or time restrictions apply.
For Private Vehicle only.
1949 International Driving Permits are valid for one year from their date of issue. However, the state in which the visitor is driving may limit the period during which an International Driving Permit is recongnized for each visit of that state. In any case, the length of the visitor’s stay is determined by the validity of his visa or authorized length of stay as a visitor.
Don't have a driving licence? You can apply for new driving licence through WIAA. Click here to know more.