WIAA - Castrol Institute of Motoring
A Project on Road Safety Education
Road safety deserves to enjoy the status of a specialized subject .It has many things to offer in terms of knowledge that ultimately concerns the life and death of an individual who could be a pedestrian, a cyclist, a two wheeler rider or a man behind the steering wheel of a car, truck or a bus.
As per the available statistics, 75 per cent of the total road accidents in India are caused by the mistakes committed by the drivers, killing over 60000 persons per year. This statistics also reflects the fact that we have the highest number of road accidents per vehicle as well as fatality rate as compared to any other country in the world.
The proposed Institute, the first of its kind in the country, revolves around human safety on road .It has varied objectives and services which include in-depth education and training to different classes of road and vehicle users and incorporates a host of technical services to ensure safety and economy in handling of a vehicle .A provision has also been made to undertake research activities to promote safety.
The institute will be equipped with the state-of-the-art facilities and training will be given in the form of theory as well as practicals. Each theoretical course will be supported by screening of relevant films in the institute/s own auditorium / lecture halls equipped with the latest audio-visual equipment to create a lasting impact on the minds of participants undergoing the training .The basic objective is to change the easy going attitude of all road and vehicle users by disclosing unknown and unexpected risk factors on roads. The aims is to highlight that safety begins in the mind and the basic attitude of a child or a person can be changed by imparting knowledge of the dangers involved.
This dream project of the WIAA has become a reality due to the support received from Ahmedabad Education Society and Castrol India Limited. It is the concern for safety and need to impart education in the field that have prompted them to lend a helping hand to the project which will eventually help save hundreds of lives.
There are several theoretical courses with a duration from two hours to a maximum of six hours .these courses are designed to not only impart knowledge on basic traffic rules but also to incorporate social, economical, psychological, technical and scientific aspects having direct or indirect influence on matters related to road safety. Where relevant, the course will also cover factors related to physical /mental status of pedestrians /drivers as well as technical limitations of vehicles to highlight the unknown risk factors that exist on the road .On the subject of driving, the courses will help to enrich knowledge so as to make better drivers in terms of skill and technique which, in the process, ensure safe and economical motoring under varied driving conditions .the courses proposed are as under.
- Theoretical courses for school –going children to ensure their safety as pedestrians and cyclists
- Theoretical course for two-wheeler riders
- Theoretical courses on car driving with an option to attend any one of the following :
- ABC of car mechanism and maintenance
- Preliminary driving course (for learners)
- Advanced driving course (for experienced driver )
- Full day theoretical course on prevention of road accidents for light and heavy motor vehicle drivers.
The practical training courses include:
- Learning to drive a car with the help of dual control cars. Students will also have an option to learn through a simulator –a modern classroom device that teaches you all about driving
- ABC of car mechanism to rectify minor faults
- Learning to ride a two-wheeler.
- The institute will have a permanent Display Hall to provide technical know –how on car /two wheeler mechanism, preventive maintenance products and auto safety equipment. Arrangements will also be made to display latest car and two-wheeler model offering new technology
- The institute will have an Exhaust Emission Control Cell to undertake PUC test and issue the certificate
- To check the physical limitations of a driver, it will have a Driver’s Physical Fitness Cell to test Reflex Time, Field of Vision, etc. and suggest compensatory measures to ensure safety
- Driving Competency Tests will be conducted to assist individuals as well as organisations to recruit technically competent drivers
- The institute will also offer Driver Improvement Service to identify driving errors and improve driving skill and technique
- The institute will have a library for those who want to know more about motoring.
The institute will incorporate following investigation and research pattern to promote safety.
- To collect accident data and identify accident prone zones
- To carry out spot inspection in cases of fatal road accidents
- To install warning signs on roads where necessary
- To examine and analyse mental attitude, physical limitations and social background of drivers involved in road accidents
- To arrange group discussions and to invite open suggestions from public and private tour and transport operators.
- To undertake survey/research for the improvement of select state/ National highways
- To study the Road Safety measures adopted in developed countries and recommend those applicable to Indian conditions.
For Further details, contact:
WIAA Office at Ahmedabad:
Western India Automobile Association
WIAA - Castrol Institute of Motoring
Near Nehru Foundation,
Judges' Bunglows Road,
Ahmedabad - 380054